Monday, January 16, 2012

In a holding pattern

1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.[a]
2 I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”  Psalm 91


I haven’t put anything on here recently because I just have a one track mind.  So I have given up.  Here is what is occupying my days and nights.
An envelope came in the mail today requesting I subscribe to Army Times.  They offered a free camouflage back pack.  Really?  Whew, I was really running low on camo things covered in velcro.  (Why does Word keep trying to capitalize velcro?  Is it someone’s name?) 
I am always singing or humming and I’m usually not aware of it.  This can be problematic if you are brainwashed with weird marching songs.  He is playing with Thing 1 in the living room and I hear him singing
“My buddy’s in a foxhole….with a bullet in his head.” 
“Goodness Honey you are going to traumatize her!”
Who makes up these cadences?  I guess they can’t march while singing “these are a few of my favorite things”  (I could)
I haven’t put up the window treatments in our bedroom.  As I sit here the rods are still in the closet waiting to be hung.  I keep meaning to do it but I guess it’s too late now.  There are two unpacked boxes in the corner.  The odd thing is I still have to unpack them so the Army can repack them.  They will only insure things that they pack.  Makes sense I guess.
We are “in a holding pattern” he tells me.  We know where he is going and when but they are lots of details from transportation about packing etc. that we are waiting on.  We probably won’t know the exact move date until a week or so before the move.  Soon he will attend a briefing that we have been waiting for.  “What will you know after that briefing?”….”probably nothing” he tells me. 
We had a yard sale this weekend.  It’s weird to sell some things.  Things we know we won’t need for the next five years might as well go.  I don’t mean old baby clothes, but that was hard too. 
He took Thing 1 to the movies so I decided to take the little one for a stroll.  It would be good to get a chance to clear my head.  I don’t know what I was thinking.  Cue the waterworks.  Stupid Coldplay. 
Here’s the thing, I DON’T WANT HIM TO LEAVE FOR 18 MONTHS!!  I want to scream…I want to stomp my foot on the ground and refuse to leave my room.  I want to run into backyard and scream at the top of my lungs “THIS IS BS!”   But, that probably won’t make me feel any better.  Then I would have to explain to my Mom where Lilyana is hearing that kind of language and I know that Christian women shouldn’t swear.  Personally, I think Jesus would understand. 
Really, there’s no one to be mad at.  Maybe that’s part of the problem.  You can’t be mad at the Army.  I love the Army. 
“I want to go to the museum Mommy”
“Well, the museum you like is far away near Nana’s house”
“oh'"
"Do you remember that I told you we were going to stay with her and that Daddy is going on a long work trip?”
“yes”
“well, when we are with Nana you can go to the museum”
“that be very fun mommy!”
(sigh)

I don’t want to move out of this house.  I don’t want to leave Savannah.  Why would anyone want to leave Savannah?  There is more than normal kissing and hugging around our house.  Small things that usually make you crazy about your spouse are being overlooked and forgiven. At least on my end
J
“Do you want to take that to your mom’s or put it in storage?”
“You need to learn this so you can do it when I’m gone”
I don’t want to learn about the virus software.  I don’t want you to leave.

 
 The days go on as normal mostly.  Dishes and laundry.  Playdates and church.

Standing at the kitchen sink I can hear them coming from far off.  Slowing the pictures on the wall begin to rattle.  “OOOOO!!!!   Mommy, it’s Daddy’s copters! Copters Mommy!!!!”
We run outside like we always do and wait to see them fly over the yard.  She jumps in the air with her hands up.  It does look like they are close enough to touch.  I’ve ridden in one and I know the pilots can see us.  I can tell which unit they are from by looking at them.  Two giant Chinooks.  I’m always amazed they stay up there in the sky.  We watch them fly off into the distance.  The sound is indescribable.
“That’s the sound of freedom Baby”

No comments:

Post a Comment