Thursday, December 22, 2011

Praying for babies

A sweet friend gave birth to her miracle baby today.  I am thrilled for her and I wish I was in Savannah to hold that little boy.  Between that and you know, the birth of our Savior, I guess I have babies on the brain.

Several years ago…
“The baby’s heartbeat is very slow”  The doctor tried to explain it to me.  “I have seen babies make it but it’s rare.”  I decided to pray for a miracle.  I had just had one miscarriage so surely the Lord would heal this baby.  “Come back in a week and we’ll check the baby again”
If you have ever been pregnant you know that a week is an eternity even in a healthy pregnancy.  It was probably the longest week of my life.  The next week the news was worse.   The heartbeat was even slower.  Repeat for two more weeks.  Hubby and I went to the mountains for the weekend.  Looking back it seems rather strange but I guess he was trying to distract me.  It was impossible to think about anything else.  The baby inside me was dying and I was helpless to save it.  It was a gut wrenching pain.  Years of praying, hoping and yet again for some reason, my body couldn’t do it.  As I lay in the hospital in the recovery room a small child was in a bed near me.  He cried nonstop for his Mommy.  Each time he cried out “Mommy” I was sure I was going to die.
Only another woman who has experienced this can understand.  My Mom and hubby held me while I sobbed and hated to see me in pain but it’s different when it’s your body.  The desire to have a child overtook my life.  Baby things and pregnant woman are everywhere. They complained about nausea and being tired.  I wanted to scream at them.  I still hate to hear these complaints. 
Why is this a silent pain?  I find out all the time of woman who long to be mothers and don’t have kids for whatever reason.  I thought of starting a support group…we could all sit in a circle and cry. Doesn’t that sound fun? J Having my girls has healed some of the pain.  I told a friend recently though, “I think we will still cry for these children when we are eighty years old”  Sometimes I look at the girls and wonder what my other kids would look like.  (Of course, I never would have pictured them as blond with blue eyes)  We all agree that Lilyana, my first miracle, is proof that Jesus has a sense of humor.
The story above was not the end of my loss.  More pain followed but God was always there.  I would like to quote some great scripture and tie all this in to Christmas but I’m tired.  My miracles keep me in a constant state of gratitude and sleep deprivation.  How about this…

I prayed for years for a baby
My friend had a baby today
Jesus came into this world as a baby.

Let me know if there is anyone that needs prayer in this department.  I am 3 for 3 in praying for babies!!!  In all seriousness I have books I can recommend and scripture I can pray with you.  Don’t ever give up on God!

No comments:

Post a Comment